Newborn Intensive Care Unit Transport Team
The Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Transport Team at Memorial Hospital of South Bend is charged with providing a multidisciplinary team for the comprehensive family-centered care of the sick neonate.
The Memorial Children’s Hospital Regional NICU Transport Team has been transporting neonates from Northern Indiana and Southwestern Michigan referral hospitals since 1981. We currently serve 28 referral centers in 15 counties. The team transports hundreds of patients per year utilizing specially equipped ambulances and the MedFlight helicopter.
Under the direction of a neonatologist, team members are comprised of a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner, a specially trained NICU Registered Nurse and a specially trained respiratory therapist.
We have partnered with the South Bend Fire Department since 1988 to ensure that the most qualified firefighters are available to drive and maintain our mobile intensive care units focusing on safety for the patient and team members.
- Arrangements can be made via physician-to-physician contact for attendance at high-risk deliveries. Resuscitation and stabilization may be required prior to transferring a patient.
- With advance notice, our team is able to transfer two patients simultaneously in separate incubators.
- We offer high-frequency ventilation, and our bedside testing includes electrolytes and blood gases.
- Our team is capable of stabilizing and resuscitating infants. We are experienced in intubation, umbilical arterial/venous catheter placement, needle thoracentesis and medication administration.
- We take very seriously our focus on minimizing neonatal brain injury, including passive body cooling in preparation for total body cooling and EEG monitoring in the NICU.
The NICU Transport Team at Memorial recognizes the critical importance not only of ensuring the health and well-being of our patients, but also that families must be supported in difficult times. With these goals in mind, Memorial Hospital offers the Now I See You program, a critical link between parents and children, and the Ronald McDonald Family Room, a support service conveniently located within the hospital.